Monday, September 11, 2006

Nine Eleven Two Thousand One: 'Spirit Furious'

SPIRIT, FURIOUS
By Karen D. Rickenbach
Rogue angels chiffon my nights, twelve arms flailing,
Those long whispers of limbs that curl a pale blood around my throat.
They are maddened by my breath, as constant as God’s bare foot.

I saw their burning flesh drop and felt the slow vibration of death,
A hum-drone known to the ages.
Jet fuel streamed under the lime-stripe of a firecoat, poof!
Then I ate them, I swallowed their stardust exploding on glass,
One hundred freight trains crashing.

Come tonight, I’ll cream your skin and feed you cowfoot and beans.
There will be a love song, then you could find my keys and my checkbook and maybe
In my room everything would feel new, like a red birth or a
Muscled and panting fish gill, or just green grass that serves as a bed
For dragonflies.

If not, we'll talk about it when I get there.

* * * * * *
Illustration: A woodcut of the Twin Towers and Lower Manhattan
from the Hoboken ferry terminal by John DePol (1913-2004)

No comments: