Monday, November 17, 2008

Quotes From Around Yon Blogosphere

Despite the election results, it looks like House Republicans are going to shift their leadership in a conservative direction.
-- BRENDAN NYHAN

In the aftermath of a decisive defeat, Republicans and conservatives are nursing their wounds and wondering what went wrong. Many have come up with an easy answer: the GOP has drifted from its core principles; consequently, the voters have handed it the pink slip. But is the drift more to blame than the principles?

-- DAVID CORN

Jindal does not seem to be going in the same direction as the rest of his party.

The bookers and producers of the Sunday shows are committed to the continuing dominance of conservative/Republican marquee guests. No question about it. And this is going to be one part of the rewiring of Washington that will take longer and face more resistance than possibly any other.

The G.O.P. ran out of steam and ideas well before George W. Bush took office and Tom DeLay ran amok, and it is now more representative of 20th-century South Africa during apartheid than 21st-century America. The proof is in the vanilla pudding. When David Letterman that the 10 G.O.P. presidential candidates at an early debate looked like "guys waiting to tee off at a restricted country club," he was the first to correctly call the election.

How about just thanking democracy?

Last month I called Sarah Palin a bitch. Oh my, what was I thinking? Oh yes, I was thinking she was a bitch. Of course, I thought that I was only saying it to my dear friend Margaret. But then all of you showed up - all 900,000 of you. My goodness. Who knew? What a hoot.

-- HELEN PHILPOT

May I confess that upon first seeing her, I liked her looks? With the sound off, she presents a not uncomely frontal appearance. But now, as the Brits say, "I’ll be glad to see the back of her."

-- DICK CAVITT

Cartoon by Signe Wilkinson/Philadelphia Daily News

No comments: